Like President Trump, I’m from the rough and tumble streets of New York.
Whether it’s in my RJ column or on my national radio show, I believe in shooting from the hip and speaking from the heart. Let the chips fall where they may, the truth is the truth—no matter if it offends someone.
Obviously, Jim Murren’s MGM employees agree with my style. They are coming out of the woodwork to talk to me about the situation at MGM. It’s interesting to note that like Hollywood pariah Harvey Weinstein, Jim Murren has no friends, no defenders. In all these months of my exposing him as “America’s worst CEO” not one employee has ever bothered to defend him. Not one.
I met in-person days ago with MGM security personnel. They called me and requested a meeting. They told me a story of a company that is simply a mess…filled with disgruntled employees…faulty equipment…no one with any training for a crisis…no one STILL with any idea what to do in case of emergency…and to top it off…
A full-blown mutiny going on.
No one staying at MGM properties has any idea how bad it really is. They are NOT protected…from anything.
I’d call it a PERFECT STORM that opened the door to terror attack. And the worst part is, nothing has changed.
Here are just a few highlights of our conversation:
- MGM security personnel are “undermanned, underpaid, and under-trained.” That’s a quote direct from security supervisors.
- My sources say because MGM is heavily in debt and desperately trying to save money, and because executives see security as a department that “produces no profit,” MGM made decisions to savage the security budget.
- Most of MGM security is disarmed. Only supervisors have weapons. And they are in their offices, or the control room. If there’s trouble, they are far away, leaving unarmed guards unable to defend guests or themselves for long periods of time. Guards feel helpless.
- There is a petition at this very moment from MGM employees demanding guards be armed because employees do not feel safe at work.
- Security guards are so upset they are planning to unionize at every MGM property, all at once, in the coming days.
- My MGM security sources believe MGM security guard Jesus Campos is a key part of this mess. There are many questions that need to be answered about Campos. He’s the only witness to the worst mass shooting in U.S. history and his only interview EVER was with a comedian (Ellen Degeneres) whose show is sponsored by MGM and who makes millions with her own slot machines at MGM casinos?
- Media critics have asked why Campos was sent alone to the 32nd floor. Because of budget cuts and severe understaffing, MGM guards are almost always sent alone on calls.
- MGM has lots of guards on the casino floor, but often has only 3 guards on duty for thousands of guest rooms. Unarmed guards.
- Many critics have asked after Campos was shot, why police were not called quickly. My sources say calls to police are ALWAYS a last resort at any MGM property. They never want police involved. They want no public record of incidents at MGM properties.
- Secondly, they report MGM security has cheap, faulty equipment. Their radios are the worst problem. They often don’t work, or suffer “dead zones” all over the hotels. Campos may have been unable to reach his supervisors for crucial minutes. He may have been forced to use his personal cell phone.
- Contrary to public perception, there are no cameras in hallways. And none in the stairwells either—meaning a shooter could quickly escape to the street without video images.
- High Rollers like Paddock are treated like untouchables. Security personnel cannot question them for fear of being instantly fired.
- Paddock studied Mandalay Bay. He knew the shift change times. There is a shift change at 9:59 PM. That’s why the shooting took place around 10 PM. It’s a time of mass confusion.
- Incredibly, MGM security has never been trained for mass shooting, or terror attack scenarios. No one had any idea what to do. My sources say they still don’t.
- MGM has no TAC team. Wynn has a TAC team. Wynn has been training for a mass casualty scenario since 2015. MGM is just starting that training now.
- The timeline for the shooting is not easy to establish. Yes, traffic on MGM radios (when they work) is recorded. But it’s very hard to retrieve and piece together accurate timelines.
MGM’s own security supervisors and employees painted this picture for me in vivid terms. It’s an eye-opener. Would you feel safe staying at an MGM property?